Top World News
Authorities probe corruption and negligence in Hong Kong's deadliest fire in decades
Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades is raising questions about corruption and negligence in the renovations of the apartment complex where at least 128 people died
This African nation built its development on diamonds. Now it's crashing down
Diamonds helped transform Botswana from one of the world’s poorest nations into one of Africa’s success stories
Trump to pardon ex-Honduras leader serving drug trafficking sentence in US
Hernández was convicted in 2024 of accepting millions in bribes to protect cocaine shipmentsDonald Trump has said he will grand a pardon to Juan Orlando Hernández, the former president of Honduras who is serving a 45-year prison sentence in the US on drug trafficking and weapons charges.“I will be granting a Full and Complete Pardon to Former President Juan Orlando Hernandez who has been, according to many people that I greatly respect, treated very harshly and unfairly,” Trump said Friday in a post on Truth Social. Continue reading...
College student deported when flying home for Thanksgiving, despite court order
Student ‘heartbroken’ after being sent to Honduras while trying to travel from Boston to Texas, attorney saysA college freshman trying to fly from Boston to Texas to surprise her family for Thanksgiving was instead deported to Honduras in violation of a court order, according to her attorney.Any Lucia Lopez Belloza, 19, had already passed through security at Boston Logan international airport on 20 November when she was told there was an issue with her boarding pass, said attorney Todd Pomerleau. The Babson College student was then detained by immigration officials and within two days sent to Texas and then Honduras, the country she left at age seven. Continue reading...
'Kill everybody': Bombshell Pete Hegseth order blasted by lawmakers as 'blatantly illegal'
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth reportedly delivered an order in the first attack on a suspected drug boat that lawmakers have blasted as excessive and "blatantly illegal."President Donald Trump's Pentagon chief ordered a missile attack on the boat Sept. 2 off the Trinidad coast, but intelligence analysts and military leaders watching drone footage of the strike realized after the smoke cleared there were two survivors clinging to the wreckage – and the Washington Post reported that Hegseth gave another verbal directive.“The order was to kill everybody,” said a source with direct knowledge of the situation.The Special Operations commander overseeing the attack ordered another strike at Hegseth's instruction, and the two men were blown apart in the water – which a former military lawyer said "amounts to murder."An order to strike the defenseless men "would in essence be an order to show no quarter, which would be a war crime,” said Todd Huntley, who advised Special Operations forces during U.S. counterterrorism campaign is now director of the national security law program at Georgetown Law.The elite SEAL Team 6 led the attack, according to four sources with direct knowledge of the matter, and the operations commander, Adm. Frank M. “Mitch” Bradley, told others on the secure conference call that the survivors were legitimate targets because they might have been able to call other traffickers to come get them and their cargo.The Pentagon has since struck at least 22 more boats in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean, killing another 71 alleged drug smugglers.Later the same day, Trump released a redacted 29-second video of the Sept. 2 attack, which didn't show the follow-up strike, but one person who saw the live feed said people would be horrified if the entire video was made public.Joint Special Operations Command, or JSOC, reported to the White House that the “double-tap,” or follow-on strike, was intended to sink the boat and remove a possible hazard to other ships, and not to kill survivors, and a similar explanation was given to lawmakers in closed-door briefings.“The idea that wreckage from one small boat in a vast ocean is a hazard to marine traffic is patently absurd, and killing survivors is blatantly illegal,” said Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA), a Marine Corps veteran and Trump critic who was briefed on the strikes with other members of the House Armed Services Committee. “Mark my words: It may take some time, but Americans will be prosecuted for this, either as a war crime or outright murder.”
Zelenskyy’s top aide quits after anti-corruption searches of his home
Ukrainian president announces departure of Andriy Yermak, who was leading peace talks with USVolodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff and closest ally, Andriy Yermak, has resigned after Ukraine’s anti-corruption agencies conducted searches at his apartment earlier today.The abrupt departure of the aide, who had been leading the latest round of the delicate peace negotiations with the US, was announced by the Ukrainian president in a late-afternoon social media video on Friday. Continue reading...
U.N. nuclear agency returns to Chernobyl to check damage from recent Russian drone attack
The International Atomic Energy Agency is sending technicians to the site of Ukraine's Chernobyl nuclear power plant to assess the current condition of an arch-shaped steel structure that was erected over the damaged reactor following the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
Lebanese army boosts its presence along border with Israel, dismantling Hezbollah posts
The Lebanese army has intensified its efforts in areas along the border with Israel, in the volatile area that witnessed the 14-month war between Israel and the Hezbollah militant group.
Venezuelans worried about economic turmoil shun Black Friday deals
Venezuelans are skipping Black Friday shopping due to the country's struggling economy
Jacob Zuma’s daughter resigns amid claims South Africans tricked to fight for Russia
Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla quits as MP after being accused of recruiting 17 men who are trapped in war-torn UkraineA daughter of the former South African president Jacob Zuma has resigned as an MP, after being accused of tricking 17 South African men into fighting for Russia in Ukraine by telling them they were travelling to Russia to train as bodyguards for the Zumas’ uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) party.Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, 43, the most visible and active in politics of her siblings, volunteered to resign and step back from public roles while cooperating with a police investigation and working to bring the men home, the MK chair, Nkosinathi Nhleko, said at a press conference in Durban. Continue reading...
Parents of abducted children plead with the Nigerian government for news of rescue
Hundreds of parents in Nigeria are pleading for the rescue of their children abducted from a Catholic school last week
Rescue efforts end at Hong Kong tower block fire as death toll reaches 128
About 200 people still unaccounted for, say officials, as fire chief confirms no alarms went off in any of the eight towersAnger swells in Hong Kong over deadliest fire in more than 70 yearsHow the Hong Kong fire unfolded – visual guideThe death toll from the Hong Kong apartment complex fire that began on Wednesday has risen to 128 with as many as 200 missing, officials have said, as rescue operations were declared over.Firefighters had been combing through the high-rises on Friday, attempting to find anyone alive after the massive fire that spread to seven of eight towers in one of the city’s deadliest blazes. Continue reading...




