Top World News

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

'Most Intense' In Over A Century: How This Year's El Nino May Impact World

It is expected to be the most "intense" El Nino in more than a century, the head of long-range forecasting at the UK's Met Office warned on Friday.

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

2 Ships With 22 Indians Hijacked By Armed Pirates Off Yemen, Somalia

The official said that six armed pirates were aboard M.T. Sibu and had taken control of the vessel, while eight armed pirates with AK-47-type weapons boarded M/V LUTUF and were operating from two skiffs.

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

Victorian Labor promises free dental care if re-elected in Australia-first move

Premier Ben Carroll says $230m would be earmarked for 10 public dental clinics to operate on a walk-in basisGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastVictorians would be able to walk into a dental clinic and receive free checkups and treatment under an Australian-first proposal the Labor government will take to the November state election.The premier, Ben Carroll, will announce the plan – Labor’s first major election commitment – at a rally on Saturday to mark fewer than 100 days until Victorians go to the polls. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

Doris Miller’s family ‘shocked’ by Navy’s reported consideration of honoring Trump instead of black war hero – live

Thomas Bledsoe told CNN the potential move is ‘quite a shock’ and that the family were not notified beforehandUS navy carrier set to honor Black war hero may reportedly be renamed after TrumpSign up for the US Breaking News emailUS Senator Tim Sheehy, a Montana Republican and a cattle rancher, has come out against a plan announced Friday by Donald Trump to allow for an increase in imported ground beef. ”I’ve advised President Trump against this course of action for a year because American ranchers have been struggling against the packer monopoly for decades, and this will further harm them - most of whom are MAGA Republicans,” Sheehy wrote on X. “The President’s heart is in the right place on wanting lower prices for the American people, and beef prices have been impacted by the Mexican screwworm. But the reality is this action will make it more difficult for American ranchers to rebuild our herd and bring prices down for the American people. And most importantly, this will harm our ranching families who feed the nation.” Trump announced a plan on Truth Social to allow 300,000 metric tonnes of beef to be imported without tariffs over the next 90 days, to be sold for hamburger at a 25 percent discount to current prices. Trump offered this agreement with an unnamed source as measure to lower prices while “as we work to rebuild this herd and help our ranchers.”The US beef cattle herd is near historic lows, and beef prices have skyrocketed over the last year. The average price of ground beef in American cities is around $7.12 a pound, an increase of 9.4 percent year-over-year according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.This is a slap in the face to every war hero and every service member who has worn the uniform. It’s beyond comprehension for a president to want his own name on a Navy ship while our armed forces are living in deteriorating conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln. For generations, millions of Black women and men have proudly served in the United States military, defending freedoms that too often were not even afforded to them, their families, or their communities. Donald Trump is making a mockery of that legacy by treating military service as another opportunity for personal branding. Our brave service members signed up to defend the nation, not the fragile ego of one man. America deserves better than this. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

DHS confirms just 185 non-citizens on Nevada voter rolls after claiming there were thousands more

The department told Nevada officials that the 15,903 figure registered was ‘preliminary’ and more than 14,000 names still needed reviewAbout a month after alleging Nevada had as many as 16,000 non-citizens on its voter rolls, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials admitted they had confirmed that only 185 were actually non-citizens, according to records obtained by the Guardian.In a primetime TV address on 16 July, Donald Trump claimed that a DHS review had found about 278,000 non-citizens registered to vote in four states. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

US supreme court lets Trump continue work on White House ballroom for now

Chief justice signs temporary order to permit work while court considers emergency appeal from administrationThe US supreme court has allowed Donald Trump to continue construction of his controversial White House ballroom for now, temporarily pausing a lower court order that would halt much of the project.Supreme court chief justice John Roberts signed a temporary order on Friday, permitting work to continue while the court considers an emergency appeal from Trump’s administration. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

'Health Issues Due To Isolation': What Imran Khan Told Sister At Hospital

Uzma Khan addressed a press conference in Islamabad after she met the PTI founder while he was taken to a hospital on Thursday and shared her account of his visit to the hospital.

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

Labour stalling on Jackdaw and Rosebank because ‘heart’s not really in it’, says Badenoch – as it happened

This blog is now closed. See all our UK politics coverage hereAfter Emily Thornberry’s call for the government to ban goods from the occupied West Bank (see post at 11:05), Peter Beaumont and Quique Kierszenbaum report on how Israeli settler attacks in areas designated for a future Palestinian state and currently under direct Palestinian control have almost doubled since 2025.They wrote:According to a report by the Israeli human rights organisation Yesh Din, shared with the Guardian, data shows that almost two-thirds of incidents of settler violence so far in 2026 have taken place in the so-called Areas A and B – placed under Palestinian Authority governance in the 1995 Oslo accords.The report, The Next Frontier, Violence by Israeli Civilians in Areas A and B, describes the “rapid shift” in “violence and pressure exerted by the government, military and settlers on Palestinians … from Area C into Areas B and even A”.No 10 North is putting more power into every postcode across the country so communities can unleash and unlock their own potential.I’m bringing together mayors from different political parties to work on these challenges, because people deserve problem-solving rather than point-scoring.The days of Westminster hoarding power are over.This government has kickstarted the biggest transition of power and resources in a generation, taking it from Whitehall and putting it back in the hands of local communities. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

JD Vance reportedly mocks Carney for trying to ‘out-tough’ Trump on trade

Audio recording of US vice-president apparently made at New York fundraiser and shared with Canadian PressLeaked audio from a private event has reportedly captured the US vice-president, JD Vance, mocking Canada for apparently capitulating in a trade deal and taunting the prime minister, Mark Carney, for trying to “out-tough” Donald Trump.The recording, which was reportedly made at a fundraiser and shared with the Canadian Press, comes in the last stretch of a difficult negotiation in which the US president has threatened to impose 50% tariffs on Canada. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

Firebombs thrown at supercars outside Birmingham wedding venue

Police investigating after two cars set alight in attack caught on CCTV Firebombs were thrown at supercars outside a wedding venue in Birmingham, setting two alight and prompting guests to sprint out of the building.West Midlands police said they were investigating the incident, which happened in the Sparkbrook area of Birmingham at around 8.30pm on Wednesday. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

‘Shameful’: UK, Australia and Canada criticise Israel over Gaza aid convoy killings decision

Joint statement issued after IDF said it will not pursue criminal investigations into April 2024 strike that killed seven humanitarian workersBritain, Australia and Canada have called the decision of the Israeli military authorities not to open a criminal investigation into the April 2024 airstrikes that hit a convoy of aid vehicles in Gaza “shameful”. The strikes killed seven humanitarian workers from the US-based World Central Kitchen (WCK) organisation.WCK staff from the three countries were among the casualties of the attack, which prompted global outrage. Continue reading...

ArticleImg

Aug 21, 2026

NSW ‘seeking urgent advice’ on controversial court ruling that found anti-Israel vandalism was not antisemitic

Attorney general considering appeal after justice Desmond Fagan knocks back terror order request for Mohommed Farhat who wrote ‘Fuk Israel’ on carsGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe New South Wales government could appeal a supreme court judge’s controversial decision to refuse its request for a terror order over a Sydney man convicted of writing “Fuk Israel” on cars and setting another vehicle alight in late 2024.Justice Desmond Fagan this week found disparaging Israel was “political comment” not antisemitism. He rejected the state’s application that Mohommed Farhat be subjected to a one-year extended supervision order under the Terrorism Act when released from prison. Continue reading...